Watermelon is a valuable source of natural antioxidants.The doctor and consultant on health Ekaterina Tolstikova on his page in Facebook said about the beneficial properties of watermelon.
According to the doctor, watermelon is a valuable source of natural antioxidants, particularly lycopene, ascorbic acid and citrulline. These functional ingredients are on guard chronic health problems such as cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Useful properties of watermelon– It is thanks to the lycopene watermelon becomes red (like a tomato), but the melons have more beta-carotene, a molecule that is found in carrots.
– Given the composition, 100 grams of watermelon is 30 calories. It contains almost 92% water and 7.55% of carbohydrates, of which 6.2 per cent are sugars and 0.4% dietary fiber.
– It is enriched with carotenoids, vitamin C, citrulline, and flavonoids, therefore it is considered a low calorie fruit, but everything has reasonable limits.
– Watermelon also helps to reduce some of the other metabolic syndromes because of vitamins A, B6, C, magnesium, potassium. They, along with lycopene are functional ingredients to promote health associated with a decreased risk of cardiovascular diseases.
– Fresh watermelon from 2,30-7,20 mg of lycopene per 100 g (this is almost 40% higher than in tomatoes).
– Unlike lycopene from tomatoes and watermelon that tomatoes need heat-treated for greater absorption of this molecule by the body, but watermelon it is advisable to eat fresh! What store watermelon at a temperature of 13-21C – increases the amount of lycopene in 11-40%, and beta-carotene in 50-139%, the rest of the fruit at such temperatures the amount of beta-carotene did not change.
Lycopene has the potential to prevent various chronic diseases such as dyslipidemia, diabetes, Oncology, neurodegenerative diseases, osteoporosis and others. High intake of lycopene reduces the thickness of the inner layer of blood vessels, which reduces the risk of myocardial infarction.