In the National reserve “Sophia of Kyiv” on November 27 opened the exhibition devoted to 1000-anniversary of first divine service in St. Sophia Cathedral, which is celebrated this year. The exhibition took place in the gallery in the hall, where, as scientists believe, the Prince Vladimir the Baptist took his subjects and foreign ambassadors.
— In the times of Kievan Rus this area was called “capital” — here was the throne of Prince Vladimir, — told the “FACTS” on the opening of the exhibition “Sofia Kyivska: 1000-LTTE mogucnost spirit,” head of the research Department of the Institute “Saint Sophia” the National reserve “Sophia of Kyiv” Professor Nadezhda Nikitenko. — About where in the Cathedral “capital”, we know from the diaries of Ambassador of the Austrian Emperor Rudolf II Eric Liasota. This nobleman, the king sent in 1596 to the Zaporozhye Cossacks to negotiate their participation in the war with the Ottoman Empire. During the trip, he kept a diary, and recorded all noteworthy, including in Kiev heard the legend of the “capital” of Prince Volodymyr in St. Sophia Cathedral. “Capital” he probably was in the Prince’s Palace and the Church of the tithes, the first stone of the Christian temple of Russia.
*Cross, found during the excavations of Chersonesos, where he was baptized Prince Vladimir
The exhibition opens ancient objects from Chersonesos, where Vladimir accepted Christianity: the bronze altar cross, a marble bowl, a stand for candles… Then there are things found during the excavations of the tithe Church. Among them the fragments of a marble sarcophagus and plinth (brick) with the image of the sign Vladimir — Trident.
*Plinths (bricks) with the image of the sign Prince Vladimir
Is a copy, the original is found in the Soviet years, unfortunately, lost, — says Nadezhda Nikitenko. — In this case a princely Trident — a sign of ownership, meaning that Vladimir ordered and paid for the bricks. Notice that the tile with the Trident was found during the excavation of the Saint Sophia Cathedral.
— Interestingly, a similar symbol is found on ancient items of the Crimean Tatars: the utensils, weapons, horse harness, — said “FACTS” head of sector “Institute “Hagia Sophia”, candidate of historical Sciences Irina Margolin.
*Fragments of the first floor of St. Sophia, which was covered with mosaics
Of the artifacts found during the excavations of St. Sophia, exhibited fragments of the floor, covered with colored mosaic, and details of the metal horos (chandeliers), clasps the Church books, in the form of daggers.
*Prince Vladimir in the image of the Jewish commander Joshua (far left)
Also the picture of one of the frescoes of St. Sophia, which, according to Professor Nikitenko, shows Prince Vladimir. In this fresco he is represented in the image of the leader of the Israelite tribes, a successful commander Joshua (1150-1200 years BC).
The fact that in ancient times, many rulers were identified with this historical figure. Unlike other characters in the mural, Joshua has a Scandinavian appearance. This confirms the version that he is depicted with the face of Prince Vladimir.
*Mail from the collection of Professor Boris Beetle
— Among the exhibits is a well — preserved mail of the XIII—XV centuriesecov from the collection of the Professor of theatrical Institute of Boris the Beetle — continues the Professor Nikitenko. — During the Second world war, he was in Nazi-occupied Kiev in 1943, fearing repressions of the Stalinist regime, went to Germany, taking with them a collection. After the war she was returned to Ukraine.
It is symbolic that the question of the Tomos for the Orthodox Church of Ukraine decided in the year 1000 received the first divine service in St. Sophia Cathedral. It is the oldest extant on the territory of Ukraine.
*Photo by Sergei TUSHINO, “FACTS”
We read in the Telegram channel, Facebook and Twitter