It looks like the meteorite, which found a new mineral.
A group of scientists has registered a new not previously encountered in nature, the mineral Rakitic, which was discovered in a meteorite found in Siberia in the summer of 2016.
Geologists of the Ural Federal University, Novosibirsk state University and Geological Institute announced his discovery at the annual meeting meteoritical companies in Moscow, writes the online edition of the Chronicle.info with reference for a New time.
Opening are yet to be officially documented, but scientists have named the mineral in honor of Oiticica village Uakit in Siberia, where a meteorite fell.
According to the study, the meteorite called Uikit consists of 98% iron alloy, known as kamasi, which was formerly only found in other meteorites. The remaining 2% minerals, most of which are also known only in space. The composition of the meteorite was such that it was to be in extreme hot circumstances – more than 1 273 Kelvin (1,000 degrees Celsius).
When scientists examined the stone under a microscope, they found tiny pellets of Oiticica. Its inclusion was only 5 micrometer. For comparison, the average human hair is 99 microns in diameter.
“Unfortunately, we are unable to obtain all the physical and optical properties of Oiticica due to the very small grain size” – recognized researchers.
However, scientists were able to determine some of the physical properties of the new mineral. It is similar to the nitride of vanadium, has a light grey color with a pink tinge in reflected light and has a hardness of 9-10 on the Mohs scale. This puts him on the same level of hardness as other nitrides, i.e., it is not as hard as a diamond, which scores 10 on the Mohs scale is the most hard mineral.
To learn more about wikitude, scientists will probably need either better technology or another meteorite that contains a lot more mineral.